Need help configuring my network

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu May 4 11:38:17 MST 2006

On 5/4/06, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> Hmm. Does the router doing dhcp support RIP? Some do, some don't.

I do not know.  Like Eric, I had no idea what this was until you
answered him and I checked the reference (not that I REALLY understand
it now :).  In any case, I have a new router waiting to be installed
and perhaps it does though I am still unsure how to tell.  The user
manual is relatively useless.

> The dhcp client (dhclient) gets its info and sets up the ip address,
> subnet, and *routing*. Normally you only do this on one interface, and
> it's your only link, and it works great. Add a second interface and one
> of the dhclients stomps on the routing of the other. Both dhclients
> remain active and periodically check in with the dhcp server, and will
> renew their info, including *routing*. So, with multiple dhcp interfaces
> it's anyone's guess how things will route at any particular moment.

Very clear and thank you.  I still don't know how to fix it but this
did help the understanding.  I just checked that computer and with
both interfaces running, the route command shows the kernel routing
table having the same four entries (2 per interface) in the same order
before and after pings begin working (i.e going through the wireless
connection) presumeably due the the dhclient checking you mentioned.
I am going to leave the machine run a while and see if ping stops
working again later.

> BTW, I haven't solved this on my home network. I've just been picking an
> interface to bring up. I'm just telling you things I've been planning on
> trying out.

Same here.  When I use the laptop at home, I just diasble the wireless
manually if it is also connected to the wired network.  Ugly solution
though and one I would like to fix given the time and knowlege.

  - James M. Barrie