Need help configuring my network

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu May 4 08:10:14 MST 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:20:51PM -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> I did some web searches on linux, dhcp, and discovery protocol but all
> I found were references to CUPS, a Cisco (specifically) discovery
> protocol, and lots of stuff that seemed not useful.  Can you point me
> to a specific solution or to any references that would help resolve
> this issue in an automateable fashion (without me needing to be a
> guru)?

Hmm. Does the router doing dhcp support RIP? Some do, some don't.

> BTW, a reminder that both interfaces get the same DNS IPs from the one
> router acting as a DHCP server.  So the issue may be with the dhclient
> effects but somehow the effect seems to change which interface traffic
> is going to.

The dhcp client (dhclient) gets its info and sets up the ip address,
subnet, and *routing*. Normally you only do this on one interface, and
it's your only link, and it works great. Add a second interface and one
of the dhclients stomps on the routing of the other. Both dhclients
remain active and periodically check in with the dhcp server, and will
renew their info, including *routing*. So, with multiple dhcp interfaces
it's anyone's guess how things will route at any particular moment.

BTW, I haven't solved this on my home network. I've just been picking an
interface to bring up. I'm just telling you things I've been planning on
trying out.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |