Need help configuring my network

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed May 3 22:20:51 MST 2006

On 5/3/06, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 12:49:11AM -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> > This sounds overly similar to a problem I was discussing on another
> > thread about having both wired ethernet and wireless on my laptop.  It
> > seems something gets very confused when both interfaces are active.
> > Specifically, I was unable to browse web sites or ping hosts.  Turned
> > out the ping was actually happening but not on the interface the
> > system thought it was.
>
> <snip>
>
> > I also found that after about 20 minutes, something unknown would
> > cause the wireless interface to correct itself and things began
> > working again.  Wierd!!!
>
> This sounds a lot like multiple dhcp interfaces. That just doesn't seem
> to work very well. Which default route gets used, etc? When a dhclient
> renews it's lease it can change your routing again after you think it
> works. With 2 dhcp interfaces I've had things *start* working after a
> while, and I've had things *stop* working after a while. The answer, of
> course, is to use a discovery protocol, but not all devices serving dhcp
> support that. :(
>
> --

Darrin, that confirms what I have thought since discovering where the
traffic was going.  I still do not understand why it happens even
though I can understand why it would be an issue.

I did some web searches on linux, dhcp, and discovery protocol but all
I found were references to CUPS, a Cisco (specifically) discovery
protocol, and lots of stuff that seemed not useful.  Can you point me
to a specific solution or to any references that would help resolve
this issue in an automateable fashion (without me needing to be a
guru)?

BTW, a reminder that both interfaces get the same DNS IPs from the one
router acting as a DHCP server.  So the issue may be with the dhclient
effects but somehow the effect seems to change which interface traffic
is going to.