syncing home partitions

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Mar 29 14:14:58 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 14:02 -0700, Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> My notebook is set up with centos, ubuntu, and a common /home partition
> (shared by both). I'm setting up my desktop the same way (w/ fedora as
> well). Before I leave home, I'd like to synchronize the /home partitions
> between the two.
> .) Is that practical?
----
for some folders maybe....gnome/kde/settings/sockets probably not
----
> .) Is 'rsync' the best program to use for this application?
----
the best is relative...probably the most versatile and easiest to
manage. There is a new list forming that I have been reading on the svn
list to use svn to manage people's home directories which of course
considers these things. SVN has other interesting aspects as well, in
that you would have versions of documents...so each time you did a
'commit' you would have another version of the document if it
changed...probably massive overkill for most folks though
----
> .) Would it be wise to unmount the partition from /home and remount at
> /mnt/home before syncing? (I'm thinking that some files will be open at
> the time)
----
yeah, I would. Stale NFS locks can be a drag though soft mounts are
forgiving...hard mounts are not forgiving. If you are going to script
it, scripting the mount/unmount as part of the process makes sense.
----
> Any advice welcome.
----
automount.fs on LDAP ? # another overkill concept for single user.

Craig