OT Mini-RANT: fc5: wifi & ndiswrapper

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 22:44:37 MST 2006

--- Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 16:14 -0700, Darrin Chandler
> wrote:
> >

> >><disclaimer>
> >>This broadcom card is probably something you've
> had laying around for
> >>ages, and you're just trying to get it to work.
> Josh, this isn't
> >>*really* aimed *directly* at you... (unless it
> applies)
> >></disclaimer>
> >>

> >while I would agree with you, this doesn't exactly
> help Josh who
> >probably bought this laptop before he was savvy
> about Linux and
> >hardware.
> >

> I realize that this may not be Josh's choice, hence
> the disclaimer. I
> can't really help much with getting it working. Last
> time I used
> ndiswrapper it worked fine from source (then I got
> disgusted with myself
> and exchanged the wifi card for one with a chipset
> from a vendor with a
> clue). Seems like this is a minor FC5 problem.
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users
> Group
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |
> http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

First, my financial cheapness not only inclines me to
stick with the built in wifi over buying another card,
it's a lesser part of why I'm linux user now.

I do understand the source of the mini-rant. I will be
trying to get the bcm43xx drivers working at some
point. Just don't have time right now.

I do have ndiswrapper working from cli; installed
either from source or from the livna packages. There
does seem to be some modprobe/kernel module problem
with FC5 other than the non-GPL restriction. It just
doesn't want to setup wlan0 correctly so that
system-network-config or NetworkManager can manage it.
Both of these worked fine in FC4 with WEP-128. Never
tried wpa with it.

A new card isn't necessary in my case. This is just a
nuissance with FC5; which I am otherwise pleased with.

&#9556;&#9552;&#9552;&#9559;
&#9553; j&#8776;
&#9562;&#9552;&#9552;&#9565;