OT Mini-RANT: fc5: wifi & ndiswrapper

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Mar 28 17:05:41 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 16:14 -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> <disclaimer>
> This broadcom card is probably something you've had laying around for
> ages, and you're just trying to get it to work. Josh, this isn't
> *really* aimed *directly* at you... (unless it applies)
> </disclaimer>
>
> If you need ndiswrapper then you're not using free software. If you've
> got a binary kernel driver (such as nVidia's) then you're not using free
> software. Is this a minor, pedantic point? No! It's important to you,
> whether you know it or not!
>
> When I got into computers in the early 80's I had control of my
> computer. As the years went by that slipped away as MS and hardware
> vendors did me the "favor" of taking those needless details of out my
> hands. As a coder I never appreciated it the way some normal computer
> consumers did.
>
> When I started using Linux ('96?) I felt an elation, because once again
> I owned my computer! I bought it, and I should be able to do with it as
> I wanted.
>
> Now vendors are using the same tricks to corrupt Linux. If you're using
> ndiswrapper or any binary driver, then you're losing control of the
> hardware you bought and paid for. You're supporting vendors which will
> not allow open source developers access to the hardware. You are
> encouraging proprietary, vendor-only solutions.
>
> You should care about this! If you buy something and it's not supported
> by open source community drivers then take it back to the store! Write a
> letter to the vendor telling them how disappointed you are that you
> can't use their product due to lack of proper documentation! Don't
> settle for having a minor convenience right now. Your freedom to use the
> hardware you purchase is at stake.
----
while I would agree with you, this doesn't exactly help Josh who
probably bought this laptop before he was savvy about Linux and
hardware.

He's suggesting that you either buy a supported card (Atheros, Orinoco,
Intel chipsets) or use the broadcom open source driver.

I would suggest that you turn off all encryption, all stealth
methodologies on the wireless AP and try to make it work - no hurdles -
even with ndiswrapper if you must. Once you get it to connect/work, then
you can add security measures.

Craig