OT Mini-RANT: fc5: wifi & ndiswrapper

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue Mar 28 16:14:26 MST 2006

<disclaimer>
This broadcom card is probably something you've had laying around for
ages, and you're just trying to get it to work. Josh, this isn't
*really* aimed *directly* at you... (unless it applies)
</disclaimer>

If you need ndiswrapper then you're not using free software. If you've
got a binary kernel driver (such as nVidia's) then you're not using free
software. Is this a minor, pedantic point? No! It's important to you,
whether you know it or not!

When I got into computers in the early 80's I had control of my
computer. As the years went by that slipped away as MS and hardware
vendors did me the "favor" of taking those needless details of out my
hands. As a coder I never appreciated it the way some normal computer
consumers did.

When I started using Linux ('96?) I felt an elation, because once again
I owned my computer! I bought it, and I should be able to do with it as
I wanted.

Now vendors are using the same tricks to corrupt Linux. If you're using
ndiswrapper or any binary driver, then you're losing control of the
hardware you bought and paid for. You're supporting vendors which will
not allow open source developers access to the hardware. You are
encouraging proprietary, vendor-only solutions.

You should care about this! If you buy something and it's not supported
by open source community drivers then take it back to the store! Write a
letter to the vendor telling them how disappointed you are that you
can't use their product due to lack of proper documentation! Don't
settle for having a minor convenience right now. Your freedom to use the
hardware you purchase is at stake.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |