fc5: wifi & ndiswrapper

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 12:15:35 MST 2006

Yeah, I've watched the threads on the fedora list, but
nothing seems to have been clarified for me.

I'm using and really liking FC5, but the ndiswrapper
seems to have taken a step backwards. Or at least
something with kernel modules. (the non-gpl thing
maybe?)

BTW, this is on a pavilion zv5440 with a broadcom
43xx. I will eventually try the bcm43xx driver.

Using either the livna ndiswapper packages or
compiling from source, I have the same problem. I
don't get an entry in modprob.conf unless I amnually
enter it. So system-network-config doesn't see
ndiswrapper(wlan0) as a type of wireless device it can
manage.

When I enter "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" in
modprob.conf, I can add wlan0 in sys-net-cfg but it
can't actually manage it and causes NetwrokManager to
lose control of it unless I remove and reinstall
ndiswrapper.

Anyone understand what is going on and how I could fix
it? I'm fine with using cli to manage it, but my
family uses it too.

╔══╗
║ j≈
╚══╝