Fees in PLUG (Was: Re: Recording Google Presentation on 13th [WAS: Re: Google on April 13th])

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Mon Mar 27 21:56:47 MST 2006

Scott,

Don't worry about any offense since I felt none.  I just wanted to clear
the air, as you point out.  Here are two things about money within PLUG:

1. PLUG is not a legal entity and has no mechanism for taking in
donations nor spending or distributing funds.  This is, as far as I am
concerned, a good thing.  Granted, without funds there is no money for
some things but without money there are far fewer things to disagree
about.  Looking around at the history of LUGs and other UGs on the net,
the biggest source of real problems is money.  I don't want to see that
happen to PLUG.  (See the FAQ on the website for some discussion about
this:
http://plug.phoenix.az.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=25)

2. If a PLUGger decides to provide a service to other members and that
service involves a fee, such a transaction is welcome to happen as a
transaction between the two individuals.  They work out the details.
For example, for years Dennis has provided a distro CD service.  You
tell him what you want and he sends you burned CDs of a distro.  You pay
him a small fee to re-imburse postage and CD cost.  Sounds fair enough.

So, if there was an occasion that someone wanted to do a service, like
making cassettes of the audio of a presentation, they could do that for
a fee to cover costs.  I would not have a problem with that.  (Assuming
permission and agreement from the presenter, etc. were acceptable.)

Personally, in the instance of taping a PLUG meeting presentation, just
convert it to digital and post it on the website.  I don't see why any
money would be involved.

Sorry for veering off topic from the next East Side Meeting plans.  I
just thought I'd clarify a few things.  Also, please remember that the
above statements are my opinion and further discussion on these points
are always welcome.  I don't dictate PLUG policy, I am simply trying to
document my understanding of how PLUG has worked and will work, as I see it.

Alan

Scott wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Please consider what I typed prior to be null and void then.  The idea
> for charging any fee came from another person who responded earlier with
> regards to be willing to pay for a recording to be done.  Cassette tapes
> are usually cheap these days, but can still run a few bucks for really
> high quality (the ones that don't bleed out sound as fast as some
> do/did).  At any rate, I'm glad we were able to clear the air about it.
>
> -Scott
>
> Alan Dayley wrote:

- --[clip]--
> A small fee to who for what?  PLUG purposefully has no mechanism for
> collection and tracking fees.
>
> Alan
>
> Scott wrote:
- --[clip]--
> [...]