Subject: usb flash drive as swap in linux

Technomage technomage-hawke at cox.net
Thu Mar 16 08:24:53 MST 2006

as a response to all the posts...

ok, the deal was that I needed some swap space for a temp thing anyway (linux
would not load without it on that box) and the HD didn't have enough room for
swap AND the OS filesystem.

I have since corrected this with the acquisition of a much larger drive.

as for performance: this was a usb 2.0 device and it appeared to actually have
better performance ratings that the HD in the machine at the time.

now, this is/was a $16.00 mem stick, so, for what it is, it was a "cheap"
alternative.

now all I need is more real memory for that box (compaq presario 1255 with
only 32 MB on board). anyone happen to have some old SODimms laying around?