Sony's PS3 with 60gb HDD and Linux

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Mar 15 10:55:31 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 12:28 -0500, FoulDragon at aol.com wrote:
> Oh, it will boot to a login prompt, but I'll bet they'll leave all the
> hardware accelerated features not documented.
>
> If the PS3 "home developer" can produce a commercial-grade game with
> the Linux kit, it eliminates the reasons to buy a development kit.
> People will just distribute the Linux kit disc with it set up to load
> your home-brew game, and save the money getting a developer license.
----
I dunno - I expect that Sony has figured out that the more accessible
the underpinnings are, the more people are gonna be interested in it as
opposed to a totally closed system
----

> I'd also expect they wouldn't wanna give out their secrets regarding
> how to access the new shiney blue-ray drive, lest someone crack its
> mighty DRM.
----
probably be cracked before they actually start shipping consumer
quantities
----

> A 60Gb drive seems odd to me; today's drives seem to be multiples of
> 40 or 50Gb.  Would it be a dealbreaker to go to a common size like 80
> or 160Gb?
----
remember it is a 2.5 inch drive (laptop type).

I suspect that these decisions are made based upon price/availability
and sometimes reliability.

Craig