Sony's PS3 with 60gb HDD and Linux

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 10:28:41 MST 2006

Oh, it will boot to a login prompt, but I'll bet they'll leave all the
hardware accelerated features not documented.

If the PS3 "home developer" can produce a commercial-grade game with the
Linux kit, it eliminates the reasons to buy a development kit.  People will just
distribute the Linux kit disc with it set up to load your home-brew game, and
save the money getting a developer license.

I'd also expect they wouldn't wanna give out their secrets regarding how to
access the new shiney blue-ray drive, lest someone crack its mighty DRM.

A 60Gb drive seems odd to me; today's drives seem to be multiples of 40 or
50Gb.  Would it be a dealbreaker to go to a common size like 80 or 160Gb?