Blocking bittorrent?

Robert L Chavez tashpool at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 14:56:19 MST 2006

I was using bittorrent just fine with a 25k upload this last weekend.  I
don't use the default port, and I have forwarding setup through my linksys
router.

Would/Does cox actually do packet filtering?  I know this would make me very
upset since I get my anime fix through bittorrent.

-Rob

On 3/14/06, Josh Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:

> COX doesnt just block the port outright, I believe they do packet
> inspection
> and block based on protocol.  This is a very controversial thing ISPs are
> doing right now, plays into the whole Net Neutrality thing.  My COX
> connection stops working on a regular basis.  Time to outsource COX. jmz
>

> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 12:56, Craig White wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 12:49 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> > > Am 12. Mar, 2006 schwätzte Carl Parrish so:
> > >
> > > Move to DSL or Cox Business and stop paying for restricted access to
> the
> > > Net :).
> > >
> > > I noticed the other day that Cox seems to also not provide results
> from
> > > MX lookups :(. No warning that they're dropping the requests either.
> >
> > ----
> > # nslookup
> >
> > > server 68.2.16.30
> >
> > Default server: 68.2.16.30
> > Address: 68.2.16.30#53
> >
> > > www.azapple.com
> >
> > Server:         68.2.16.30
> > Address:        68.2.16.30#53
> >
> > Non-authoritative answer:
> > Name:   www.azapple.com
> > Address: 204.11.161.11
> >
> > > set type=mx
> > > azapple.com
> >
> > Server:         68.2.16.30
> > Address:        68.2.16.30#53
> >
> > Non-authoritative answer:
> > azapple.com     mail exchanger = 10 mail-015.phx01.alevelhigher.com.
> > azapple.com     mail exchanger = 20 mail-020.phx01.alevelhigher.com.
> >
> > Authoritative answers can be found from:
> > azapple.com     nameserver = ns2.alevelhigher.com.
> > azapple.com     nameserver = ns1.alevelhigher.com.
> >
> > > exit
> >
> > I'm on a cox 'residential' system (dhcp)
> >
> > definitely ports 25 and 80 and I am quite certain netbios ports are
> > blocked here but I don't know of anything else.
> >
> > Craig

Robert L Chavez
XP is my last Microsoft OS, there are alternatives
http://fedora.redhat.com/
http://www.apple.com/