Blocking bittorrent?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Mar 14 12:56:46 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 12:49 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Am 12. Mar, 2006 schwätzte Carl Parrish so:
>
> > How can you tell if your ISP is blocking bittorrent uploads? I've noticed
> > that on the last 6 or so torrent downloads that there hasn't been *any*
> > upload traffic. I find that hard to believe. So how can I find out if this is
> > cox or not?
>
> Move to DSL or Cox Business and stop paying for restricted access to the
> Net :).
>
> I noticed the other day that Cox seems to also not provide results from MX
> lookups :(. No warning that they're dropping the requests either.
----
# nslookup
> server 68.2.16.30
Default server: 68.2.16.30
Address: 68.2.16.30#53

> www.azapple.com
Server:         68.2.16.30
Address:        68.2.16.30#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   www.azapple.com
Address: 204.11.161.11
> set type=mx
> azapple.com
Server:         68.2.16.30
Address:        68.2.16.30#53

Non-authoritative answer:
azapple.com     mail exchanger = 10 mail-015.phx01.alevelhigher.com.
azapple.com     mail exchanger = 20 mail-020.phx01.alevelhigher.com.

azapple.com     nameserver = ns2.alevelhigher.com.
azapple.com     nameserver = ns1.alevelhigher.com.
> exit

I'm on a cox 'residential' system (dhcp)

definitely ports 25 and 80 and I am quite certain netbios ports are
blocked here but I don't know of anything else.

Craig