Laptop vendor without Microsoft tax

vodhner at cox.net vodhner at cox.net
Tue Mar 14 11:58:53 MST 2006

I'm submitting this query for a friend.
I'll forward responses to him.  Thanks - Vic

--------------

All,

First off, thank you for taking the time to respond to
my query.  I am considering purchasing a Linux-based
laptop for my daughter's 12th grade graduation.  One of
my main concerns is to insure that zero dollars of my
purchase price will go to Microsoft -- i.e. on principal
I do not want to pay the "Microsoft Tax".  Following
behind this concern are the normal issues, like
reliability, ease of dealing with the vendor, good
price, etc.  My question is: Do you have any
recommendations (esp based on experience) where one
can purchase a Linux-based laptop.

Kind regards,
-Randy Galbraith