svn+ssh on alternate ssh port

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 9 11:07:24 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 10:44 -0700, Mike Garfias wrote:
> >From the svnbook:
>
> You'd think that the story of SSH tunneling would end here, but it
> doesn't. Subversion allows you to create custom tunnel behaviors in your
> run-time config file (see the section called Runtime Configuration Area). For
> example, suppose you want to use RSH instead of SSH. In the [tunnels] section
> of your config file, simply define it like this:
>
> [tunnels]
> rsh = rsh
> And now, you can use this new tunnel definition by using a URL schema that
> matches the name of your new variable: svn+rsh://host/path. When using the new
> URL schema, the Subversion client will actually be running the command rsh
> host svnserve -t behind the scenes. If you include a username in the URL (for
> example, svn+rsh://username@host/path) the client will also include that in
> its command (rsh username at host svnserve -t). But you can define new tunneling
> schemes to be much more clever than that:
>
> [tunnels]
> joessh = $JOESSH /opt/alternate/ssh -p 29934
> This example demonstrates a couple of things. First, it shows how to make the
> Subversion client launch a very specific tunneling binary (the one located at
> /opt/alternate/ssh) with specific options. In this case, accessing a
> svn+joessh:// URL would invoke the particular SSH binary with -p 29934 as
> argumentsuseful if you want the tunnel program to connect to a non-standard
> port.
----
OK - I saw that before I posted here and put the following in
~/.subversion/config

rsh = rsh
craigssh = /usr/bin/ssh -p 222

and then running...

$ svn checkout svn+ssh://remote.host.com/home/craig/my-db_svn my-db_svn

takes a long time and then tells me...

ssh: connect to host remote.host.com port 22: Connection timed out
svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

and this...

$ svn checkout craigssh://remote.host.com/home/craig/my-db_svn my-db_svn
svn: Unrecognized URL scheme for
'craigssh://remote.host.com/home/craig/my-db_svn'

so I clearly don't understand what is going on...(the port and
remote.host.com have been changed to protect the innocent)

there is no 'verbose' sort of option that I can find that helps me
troubleshoot and there's a disconnect between the documentation and my
brain that is making the usage less than obvious to me.

Craig