svn+ssh on alternate ssh port

Mike Garfias mike at garfias.org
Thu Mar 9 10:44:07 MST 2006

>From the svnbook:

You'd think that the story of SSH tunneling would end here, but it
doesn't. Subversion allows you to create custom tunnel behaviors in your
run-time config file (see the section called Runtime Configuration Area). For
example, suppose you want to use RSH instead of SSH. In the [tunnels] section
of your config file, simply define it like this:

[tunnels]
rsh = rsh
And now, you can use this new tunnel definition by using a URL schema that
matches the name of your new variable: svn+rsh://host/path. When using the new
URL schema, the Subversion client will actually be running the command rsh
host svnserve -t behind the scenes. If you include a username in the URL (for
example, svn+rsh://username@host/path) the client will also include that in
its command (rsh username at host svnserve -t). But you can define new tunneling
schemes to be much more clever than that:

[tunnels]
joessh = $JOESSH /opt/alternate/ssh -p 29934
This example demonstrates a couple of things. First, it shows how to make the
Subversion client launch a very specific tunneling binary (the one located at
/opt/alternate/ssh) with specific options. In this case, accessing a
svn+joessh:// URL would invoke the particular SSH binary with -p 29934 as
argumentsuseful if you want the tunnel program to connect to a non-standard
port.

Here is the section on local configs:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.html#svn.advanced.confarea

Craig White spoke forth with the blessed manuscript: