ntp problems

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue Mar 7 10:17:55 MST 2006

Alex Dean wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2006, at 9:41 AM, Darrin Chandler wrote:
>
>> Try manually setting your clock to within a minute or so of the  real
>> time and check the logs again. Openntpd seems to have issues  if the
>> time diff is too large. One way around this is to start the  daemon
>> with the "-s" option.
>

> That worked.  My clock is now synced correctly.  I need to do a
> little research on how to keep things in sync.  I thought that having
> ntpd running was all I needed to do, but it looks like there's more
> going on.

Yes, having ntpd running should keep it in sync nicely. If you've got a
clock that's somewhere close to correct it'll keep it in sync fine. I've
got some computers that don't keep good time on reboot, and once they're
off too far ntpd won't work. So the "-s" option to set the time on
startup (rather than adjusting slowly) can be important.

If you have the time in sync and ntpd lets it get out of sync then
there's something screwy going on.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |