Linux Hardware RAID Configuration

Jeff Garland jeff at crystalclearsoftware.com
Mon Mar 6 09:30:50 MST 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:30:38 -0700, Mike Garfias wrote

> I have the hotspare there because this box is in santa clara.  I don't have
> immediate physical access, so I needed to minimize pain in the event of a
> failure. Also, the LVM stuff was because this was a server.  I don't want /tmp
> filling up the drive and DOS'ing the system.  I tend to split up the file
> system into muliple parts, and what not.
>
> You probably don't need this on a desktop machine.  My desktop runs one slice
> for the whole setup, and its a soft mirror setup.
>
> Sorry about the confusion, I was a bit tired and for some reason thought
> describing the whole setup was a good thing.

No worries. I can see why you did what you did -- given the location of
the machine. I think this is starting to sort out now -- I'm going to
pull out the Bios setup and go software only...when I get a chance to
get back to this -- oddly enough I'm on Jury Duty today -- neat that
there is a wireless LAN here -- too bad that you have to pay :-(

Anyway, appreciate the assist.

Jeff