Linux Hardware RAID Configuration

Mike Garfias mike at garfias.org
Mon Mar 6 08:30:38 MST 2006

Jeff Garland spoke forth with the blessed manuscript:
> Well looks like I might be bailing on this plan after your comment below.
>
> >What I ended up doing  was: three sata drives, two mirrored, one hotspare.
> >created two slices on each disk, done for the root slice, and one for the
> >LVM
> >slice.  Then build the soft raid config.  Then used LVM to further divide
> >up
> >the 2nd slide into my various file systems.
>
> Oh, for pete sake...that's an awful pain...and at least one more drive
> than I was planning to use.

Jeff -

I have the hotspare there because this box is in santa clara.  I don't have
immediate physical access, so I needed to minimize pain in the event of a
failure. Also, the LVM stuff was because this was a server.  I don't want /tmp
filling up the drive and DOS'ing the system.  I tend to split up the file
system into muliple parts, and what not.

You probably don't need this on a desktop machine.  My desktop runs one slice
for the whole setup, and its a soft mirror setup.

Sorry about the confusion, I was a bit tired and for some reason thought
describing the whole setup was a good thing.