Somewhat OT--hdw: ECS motherboard & SBM

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Thu Jun 29 11:48:52 MST 2006

Some time ago, in a moment of ill-advised penny pinching I bought one of
Fry's ECS motherboard & AMD cpu specials. (I prefer AMD cpus, it's the
cheapo mobo that has caused me the problems I've had.) I like to have a
Smart Boot Manager (SBM) diskette around as an "insurance policy" way to
boot into the various operating systems on my box. After installing the
new motherboard, I found that although it would boot from an old DOS
diskette, it wouldn't boot from an SBM diskette. I cussed mildly &
accepted it. Then Tuesday, for some reason I tried again--whaddaya
know--it worked! I figured that I must have just had a couple of bum
diskettes when I tried before. Then I tried last night with four (4)
known good SBM diskettes--including the one that had worked on Tuesday.
No dice. I even burned a couple of new diskettes using the SBM on the
Ubuntu CD. Still no dice. If that stupid board had NEVER booted from an
SBM diskette, I'd just live with it, but the fact that it did boot
correctly ONE TIME has me baffled.

Anyone got any ideas?

-mj-