need to recover windows files

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 25 20:44:38 MST 2006

--- Jason Spatafore <jason at spatafore.net> wrote:

>  >>  I had to reinstall windows and there are some
> file in
>  >>  my old home directory I need back. Anyone know
> a Live
>  >>  cd that will read ntfs and allow me to burn to
> cd or
>  >>  copy to usb drive?
>
>  >>  btw, my old user dir was marked as private and
> I can't
>  >>  open it even as admin in the new windows
> install.
>
>  >>  //hating ms more and more.
>
> Sounds like an encrypted directory. There are ways
> to recover this from within Windows. Look up
> "recovering encrypted files in winxp" in a google
> search.
>
> Stop messing with it until you figure that out! I
> know that you will need to remember your original
> password to make it work. There may be more to it
> though.

Normally, I don't get good answers to questions like
these on the ms list I'm in. And yes, there was at
least one captain obviously didn't read my post
response, but someone else sent me this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Not that this group would or should care about a
windows issue. I just figure since I've gotted so much
help here, I'd pass it along in my measely attempt to
contribute.

Thanka all for putting up with my stupid questions,
especially when the're stupid windows questions.

-j