need to recover windows files

Jason Spatafore jason at spatafore.net
Sun Jun 25 12:47:15 MST 2006

 >>  I had to reinstall windows and there are some file in
 >>  my old home directory I need back. Anyone know a Live
 >>  cd that will read ntfs and allow me to burn to cd or
 >>  copy to usb drive?

 >>  btw, my old user dir was marked as private and I can't
 >>  open it even as admin in the new windows install.

 >>  //hating ms more and more.

Sounds like an encrypted directory. There are ways to recover this from within Windows. Look up "recovering encrypted files in winxp" in a google search.

Stop messing with it until you figure that out! I know that you will need to remember your original password to make it work. There may be more to it though.