64 bit systems

Prescott Oelke poelke at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 05:50:56 MST 2006

I have an AMD64 system that I have been running for a couple years and
at first there were some headaches to getting it running in 64 bit
mode because of the lack of drivers or certain software not being 64
bit. For about the last year I haven't run into any problems with the
more modern Linux distros though. Windows is an entirely different
story. It seems there is little incentive for some companies to
support XP64 with drivers (every software package runs fine in the 32
bit "Windows on Windows" emulation layer).

Speaking specifically to heat issues, I have found the AMD64 CPUs to
generate a lot less heat than the 32 bit Athlon XPs (which carries
over to their mobile counterparts as well) and I even have the
throttling turned off. I can't speak for the Intel chips but others
have told me they are basically space heaters ("that's why we call it
a 'notebook' and not a 'laptop'").

Prescott