Lisping and Scheming

Craig Brooksby rcbrxb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 11:49:06 MST 2006

> On the contrary. http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html
> --Brock

Brock -- thanks for this link. I paid $60 for that classic book, and
last year, when I swore off computers (for about two weeks), I donated
it to the library.  Now I can have it back. :-)

> If you really want to "look into the face of God" check out
> a modern functional programming language: Haskell.  See
> http://www.haskell.org
>
> Fritz

Fritz: Thanks -- the articles I pointed to talk about Erlang and
Haskell but I thought I'd start with Lisp.  I think I need to grok
Lisp first.

> I won't claim to be permanently transformed, but I grok Lisp
> (and functional programming in general) fairly well.

Joseph -- I may contact you off-list with an occasional question.  I
will look into Lisp Newbies resources first, of course.

> If you're interested in functional programming in general, I find that
> learning XSLT (which is a functional language) is both enlightening
> and practical, it's also pretty fun, especially with XSL-FO thrown in for grins.

Now that *is* insteresting.  I bounced hard off XSLT too.  I then
donated my XSLT books to the library.  >:-(

The fact that I bounced off both Lisp and XSLT (while doing fine with
Python etc) says that there are fundamental concepts which I didn't
grasp.  I intend to rectify that this time.

I will keep XSLT in mind as I go along.  One of the links I posted
uses XML as the "gateway concept" to grokking lisp.  Interesting!

> That said, here are a couple books for Lisp that I recall as being acceptable.

Thanks for the book details!  I use abebooks.com and powells.com for
almost all my used book searches.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice --

Craig