can linux save my life again?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Jun 20 11:43:40 MST 2006

Am 20. Jun, 2006 schwätzte Josh Coffman so:

> Ok, maybe not my life but my pc. Linux has saved my
> butt a couple times in the last year. I am now working
> from home and built a pc for this purpose. The
> drawback is that it is as a windows programmer. So
> windows is the only OS on my desktop. :(
>
> Problem is that I was so excited to get it built and
> working that I forgot to supply the SATA driver to the
> windows install. So it installed the win boot loader
> on a 20 gig partition of a secondary IDE drive; and
> Windows on the first 80 gig of my SATA.
>
> This is not what I really want. I want to boot from
> the SATA drive. And I dont want to spend another 15
> hours installing windows and the software I need.
>
> What I'd like to do is move the windows partition,
> setup the boot partition, and add Fedora on this box.

Do you want m$ on the SATA drive or on the IDE drive?

Theoretically, you can create a new partition, then dd the old filesystem
onto it. The new partition has to be at least as large as what you're
copying.

This works for Linux, but I wouldn't know from personal experience if it
works for m$.

Drive letters might change. There might be other caveats.

> I was thinking i could use the GParted Live distro to
> move the windows partition, then install Fedora and
> use GRUB to boot windows. (and maybe get VMWare
> running windows under linux. :)
>
> Does this soudn like it could work?

It should, provided m$ is moved properly.

> -j aka "plug village idiot"

You might have to fight for that title. Let's just say you've got a
greencard and you're working on duel-citizenship :).

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  "Life is pain, Highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something."
#   -- Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride