chroot rpm -Uvh

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Jun 15 22:06:06 MST 2006

Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> Next problem I have no idea about with my chroot jail: ;)
>
> When I rpm-Uvh whatever.rpm from inside the jail, I get:
> error: failed to stat /proc: Too many levels of symbolic links
>
> This should be fairly easy. In order to replicate the /proc directory
> under the jail, I simply (minded) did:
> ln -s /proc $JAILROOT/proc
>
> The symbolic link exists, and seems to be ok for most other (not many
> though) purposes.
>
> I don't know what rpm uses it for. rpm -q commands seem to work fine,
> and the package seems to be installed ok (the error message appears
> right after the command, before the updating hashes, and the command
> completes).
>
> Jeremy (or anyone else), how do you set up /proc inside a jail?
>
> TIA

As Rosanna Rosannadanna would say, "Never Mind".

I simply created an empty /proc in the jail, and it seems to have made
it happy. It then complained about not being able to stat /sys, so I
added an empty /sys too. If I need anything else, I guess it'll tell me,
and then I'll add it.

Thanks for the sounding board.

--
-Eric 'shubes'