replicate sockets?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Jun 14 19:22:36 MST 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 07:08:38PM -0700, Eric Shubes wrote:
> I'm trying to set up and "sandbox" (I don't know if that's the right
> term or no) for building and installing packages w/out actually
> installing them on the system, in a chroot environment.
>
> I don't imagine that I'll need any socket files, but I'm curious. I have
>  two socket type files that I stumbled upon:
> srwxrwxrwx  1 mysql mysql 0 Jun 14 07:27 /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
> srwxrwxrwx  1 root root 0 Jun 14 07:27 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
>
> Is there some way to create or copy them using shell commands? From what
> I can tell from a brief google, they're created by a C program.
>
> Would someone please clue me in?

If you managed to create them, they would be completely useless without
the program which normally creates them. These "sockets" or "named
pipes" are a form of interprocess communication. Without the process,
they would have no purpose.

However, if installation outside chroot creates such a thing then
installation inside chroot should as well, relative to the chroot.

For instance, it's possible (and often desirable) to run mysqld in a
chroot jail. You can then use clients to access it from outside the jail
by prepending the chroot to the normal path.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |