Debian or Ubuntu for a desktop box?

Mike Garfias mike at garfias.org
Mon Jun 12 11:53:08 MST 2006

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away I used to run debian unstable (this
is way before "testing").

Then one day I did an update (this is also before apt-get), and the next thing
I knew, I had a completely broken system.

They picked that day to roll the glibc2 packages out which completely
conflicted with everything on the box that was linked against libc5.

After that I didn't run unstable.  I have run testing for long periods of time
with no problem.  But cherry pick unstable packages if you need them.

Maybe I'm just dating myself here...  I also haven't run a linux desktop in 4+
years.  Take what I have to say with a grain of salt :)

Anthony Boynes spoke forth with the blessed manuscript: