Need some grep RE help

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Jun 11 08:56:35 MST 2006

Am 10. Jun, 2006 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:

> Sorry, I gave a file reference for that but should have realized the reader
> might not be ain a place convenient to look at their file.  Here is a
> collection of some lines from one of the files:

I don't have that local file. I do have a system file.

This works for that file.

grep '\[en' /usr/share/applications/gconf-editor.desktop

That works on my box. Note that I think these files only have translations
from the original which is probably (always?) English. That means you're
only going to find English translations for the phrases that have been
localized for a particular _${region}.

ciao,

der.hans

> [Desktop Entry]
> Name[id]=Editor Konfigurasi
> Comment[be]=
> Type=Application
> Name[en_GB]=Configuration Editor
> Name[zh_TW]=
> Comment[en_CA]=Directly edit your entire configuration database
>
> The files have mostly non-english stuff and I just want to see them more
> readably.  I am sitting here with my new copy of Linux in a Nutshell but I
> have not used this stuff in maybe 15 years.  Thanks for the help!
>
> On 6/10/06, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 01:28:57PM -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
>> > There are files that seem to contain a lot of lines seemingly used to
>> > display information suitable for many locales.  One example is
>> > ~/.local/share/applications/gconf-editor.desktop.  These would be a lot
>> > easier to explore if I could look at them and not see the lines for
>> locales
>> > other than my language.
>> >
>> > My thought was to do a cat foofile | grep regexpl where regexpl would
>> pass
>> > all lines having no [*] term unless it were [en*].  Unfortunately, I
>> have
>> > forgotten much of what I once knew about regular expressions.  I know I
>> > want
>> > to relearn, but not today.  A little help please?
>>
>> Either a better description of the line format or a few sample lines
>> would help a lot.
>>
>> --
>> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
>> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
>> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  <allbery_b> wouldn't that be "shopping is hard, let's do math"?