Need some grep RE help

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 13:54:22 MST 2006

Sorry, I gave a file reference for that but should have realized the reader
might not be ain a place convenient to look at their file.  Here is a
collection of some lines from one of the files:

[Desktop Entry]
Name[id]=Editor Konfigurasi
Comment[be]=Наўпрост рэдагуе ўсю базу даньняў наладак
Type=Application
Name[en_GB]=Configuration Editor
Name[zh_TW]=組態編輯器
Comment[en_CA]=Directly edit your entire configuration database

The files have mostly non-english stuff and I just want to see them more
readably.  I am sitting here with my new copy of Linux in a Nutshell but I
have not used this stuff in maybe 15 years.  Thanks for the help!

On 6/10/06, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 01:28:57PM -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> > There are files that seem to contain a lot of lines seemingly used to
> > display information suitable for many locales.  One example is
> > ~/.local/share/applications/gconf-editor.desktop.  These would be a lot
> > easier to explore if I could look at them and not see the lines for
> locales
> > other than my language.
> >
> > My thought was to do a cat foofile | grep regexpl where regexpl would
> pass
> > all lines having no [*] term unless it were [en*].  Unfortunately, I
> have
> > forgotten much of what I once knew about regular expressions.  I know I
> > want
> > to relearn, but not today.  A little help please?
>
> Either a better description of the line format or a few sample lines
> would help a lot.
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the
transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them."

Patrick Henry quote