Debian or Ubuntu for a desktop box?

Glitch phynxx at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 15:36:05 MST 2006

I would agree that you would prefer ubuntu as a desktop machine but I don't
care for the fact that you do not get an option as to what to install or not
install. I "personally" like debian because it allows complete control over
all the settings and I find making the changes via the CLI easier and keeps
you more in tune with how things work.

~glitch

On 6/10/06, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 12:53:13PM -0700, Alex Dean wrote:
> > No opinions on this?
>
> >From your first paragraph it sounds like you're in a great position to
> answer your own question. I mean that, really. Try Ubuntu. Then try
> Debian. Then pick. Since you've done an Ubuntu desktop and Debian
> servers none of this should be very foreign to you. It'll come down to
> what makes you happy and what's easy, since you don't want to tinker
> much with the desktop.
>
> My *guess* is that you'll like Ubuntu better for desktop, since it'll be
> a bit more current than Debian and have a slicker, easier config. Anyone
> who knows better please speak up.
>

> > On Jun 8, 2006, at 5:14 PM, Alex Dean wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all.  I've been using Debian testing for a few servers for a
> > >while, and I really really like it.  I've been using RHEL4 for a
> > >desktop machine, and I've decided I want to replace it with either
> > >Debian or something Debian-based.  I've installed one Ubuntu
> > >desktop machine, and it went very smoothly, so that's fresh in my
> > >mind as I debate which distro to choose.
> > >
> > >I'm wondering what are the principal differences between Ubuntu and
> > >Debian?  I know Ubuntu is 'Debian based', but I don't really know
> > >what that means.  What's been modified, and will I care?  The only
> > >reason I hesitate to use Debian itself is just because I have no
> > >experience configuring an X server, and having a little friendly
> > >GUI handholding for that part is appealing.
> > >
> > >I am basically Linux-literate and willing to tinker.  But, for the
> > >desktop box, I also really want something that 'just works'.  I
> > >don't want to notice it, I just want to use it... to tinker with
> > >the server. :)
> > >
> > >Any thoughts, observations, etc. are welcome.  I am not trying to
> > >start a RH vs. Debian thread, so I do ask that replies be limited
> > >to comparing Ubutntu and Debian.
> > >
> > >thanks!
> > >
> > >alex
> > >.

> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

~Glitch
Linux is the future... embrace it!