Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.06 Upgrade Experience

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 12:57:10 MST 2006

On 6/6/06, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> According to that page there are several ways to accomplish the upgrade.
> The simplest being to check your current update manager is new enough and
> then to run it from the System/Administration menu so I did that.
>
> The update manager correctly advises me that 6.06 is available and has a
> button to do the upgrade.  All seemed to go well until it says:
>
> Failed to fetch http://koti.mbnet.fi/~ots/ubuntu/breezy/Packages.gz
> <http://koti.mbnet.fi/%7Eots/ubuntu/breezy/Packages.gz> 404 Not Found
> Failed to fetch http://koti.mbnet.fi/~ots/ubuntu/breezy/Sources.gz<http://koti.mbnet.fi/%7Eots/ubuntu/breezy/Sources.gz>404 Not Found
>
> in a dialog box and clicking OK then aborts the upgrade.  koti.mbnet.fibeing a Canonical domain and that I got the same errors on 4 tries is making
> me curious.  I guess I should try another method.
>
> On 6/6/06, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
>
> > Am 06. Jun, 2006 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:
>
> > Yup, I just found that page.  Thanks for the fast response
> though.  There
> > are some words on the download page at the mirror I tried today that
> refer
> > to this.  Perhaps I just did not see them yesterday.
>
> It probably wasn't there. I had forgotten that someone else had to point
> out the page to me as I didn't see it in any documentation.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

The errors listed about referred to URLs listed in /etc/apt/sources.list
which are apparently defunct repositories at Canonical.  Once I removed the
references from sources.list, the upgrade went swimmingly.  Though this is a
desktop with no pcimcia, I did not experience that bug either.

I have now upgraded 3 systems and the only other problems were with a laptop
for which I used the alternate CD method.

I did have a couple of false starts there.  The first one was apparently a
result of using global search an replaces on a /etc/apt/sources.list which
had previously had the breezy CD added as a repository.  Then the system
video crapped out while adding the alternate cdrom as a repository (a known
problem with the hardware) so I did a graceful shutdown.  The next day I
started it up, gave the command to begin the upgrade and everything
proceeded without pause.  On completion and a reboot I was up on 6.06 but
noticed some missing items from the menus.  Notably Open Office and the
alacarte menu editor.  Easy to fix, but this did not happen on the other
machines.

Overall I have to say I was quite impressed with the ease of the upgrade
once I found the instructions.  The biggest issue to me was the lack of
clarity and a summary about the inevitable errors during such a large
update.

--
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the
transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them."

Patrick Henry quote