What is your point?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Wed Jun 7 10:38:28 MST 2006

A reply to another (more constructive) responder is shown
at the bottom of this message.

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 09:37 am, Nathan England wrote:
> I would just switch distro's...
> <flame re-tardent suit=on>
> I mean, come on... It _is_ mandrake
> </flame>

Most of the time, the PLUG list provides very helpful and constructive
feedback and suggestions.

It is disappointing when some PLUG participants seem to find some
distorted kind of pleasure in being mean-spirited like this.

Especially ironic that someone who represents themselves as:
> IT Consultant
> Linux Administration / Software Development
> Specializing in Replacing Windows
> Problems With Linux Solutions

... demonstrates such a lack of common sense and grace as to
belittle another PLUG participant in this manner.

Not a good way to win friends (and potential business) and
influence people.

-------------------------------------
> On Wednesday 07 June 2006 09:27, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:20:51AM -0700, Josef Lowder wrote:
> > > Thanks for responding, but switching distros is not really an option
> > > for me as none of the three mentioned distros will work with Win4Lin
> > > (as far as I know).  Neither will Mepis or Debian or most other often
> > > suggested distros.
> > >
> > > I use Linux 90% of the time and just need to be able to run Pagemaker
> > > and Paint Shop Pro as tasks under Linux, and Mandriva is the only Linux
> > > distro that I have been able to determine is viable to do that via
> > > Win4Lin.
> > >
> > > Everybody has their favorite distro, but I think Mandriva is much
> > > friendlier and much more versatile than others I have seen, and I have
> > > had rock-solid reliability with it for more than five years - this
> > > minor little annoying nuisance notwithstanding.
> > >
> > > In any case, I suspect that this may be something that should be
> > > fixable within Kmail, so I'm still hoping someone will be able to offer
> > > a more practical remedy than throwing out the baby with the bath water.
> > > ;))
> >
> > Well, I was joking about switching distros. ;)

Okay, I take your joke in good humor.

> > Does this recurring email have the same date always? If so, do the
> > headers show an old date always? If the answer to both is yes, then
> > perhaps KMail isn't really deleting the message.

Yes and yes.  It does show the same date always, but the message
is deleted each time and then somehow Kmail (or something) seems
to be regenerating the same message again and again, even when
I am not logged on to the 'net.  Very strange.

> > If the answer to either question is no, then something is sending the
> > welcome message over and over. In that case, if nobody here knows then
> > you probably need to seek help in Mandriva forums or lists.

I have submitted the question at Mandriva Expert and in some other
forums, but no responses yet.  Usually, I receive better help from PLUG
anyway.

Thanks for responding ...

Joe