Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.06 Upgrade Experience

Austin Godber godber at uberhip.com
Tue Jun 6 08:48:03 MST 2006

Alexander Henry wrote:

> So your "frustration with Ubuntu" was caused by your suddenly
> understanding more about the nature of Linux?

SNIP
> I think Red Hat tried to become the Windows of Linux but failed.  They
> stopped halfway into the job, removing advantages of Linux and
> introducing new disadvantages.  I think Fedora and Suse are playing a
> serious game of catch-up because of this (e.g. RPM vs apt-get).  Ubuntu,
> knock on wood, is not making this mistake.  Ubuntu is keeping all the
> strengths of Debian, which are huge, and helping with Debian's faults,
> which are small for hackers but showstoppers for Aunt Tillie (e.g. cups).
>
> --Alexander

Very nicely put Alex.  I not only recommend Ubuntu for newbies ... but
for experts who want to get something done other than admining their own
desktop.  It doesn't prevent you from accomplishing anything.  It just
doesn't force you to.  I recommend everyone tinker with something else
... LFS or arch are great to play with.  Play with everything you can.
But sometimes you just want to get some work done.  Ubuntu is a good
candidate for that (not that there aren't others).

Then again ... update-manager just hosed my install at the pcmcia-cs
package point.  Thats OK ... I knew i was taking the cheap way out and
not even logging out of X to do my upgrade ... Its time for a reinstall
anyway, its been a few years.

Austin