Win32 codecs was Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.06 Upgrade Experience

Carl Parrish lists at pcl-consulting.com
Mon Jun 5 09:13:39 MST 2006

Craig White wrote:
> I recently purchased a new hard drive and did a clean install of Fedora
> Core 5 on it and I can relate that I am very impressed and it has worked
> exceptionally well. Most impressive is the vast amount of asf/wmv files
> that I couldn't see before on Fedora Core 4 but can now with mplayer &
> the latest win32 codecs. I used to have to switch over via kvm to my
> WinXP system to see them.

Craig how did you get the latest win32 codecs? Is it a rpm package I can
get with yum or do I need to do something crazy? I just recently got my
wife a HP that came with XP media center, that I haven't gotten around
to wiping it off yet (she's very impressed with SLED 10.1) so If I need
a windows computer to grab it I'll have that till about the end of the
day. (BTW does any one know if you can use the recovery discs to install
XP in a vmware guest OS?)