Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.06 Upgrade Experience

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jun 5 08:38:42 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 23:00 -0700, Wagner, Steven G wrote:
> I'm sorry if I offended or came off as being negative or ignorant. I guess I was just frustrated with all the recent hoopla about Ubuntu and then I come to find out it's nothing special. You are correct that a distro like this is great for bringing FS/OSS more into the mainstream and I know that's good for everyone. Forgive me for calling Ubuntu the "windoze of linux". I won't do that anymore and apologize to anyone who was offended by that. This is a great list/group and I appreciate all of our members.

----
distro envy  ;-)

This type of disdain was formerly heaped on Red Hat and those who used
to say that people confused things to the point where they thought Linux
was Red Hat.

The cutting edge releases will all tend to pick up newer hardware than
the older 'stable' releases but that shouldn't come as too surprising.
The cutting edge releases will all have newer versions of things like
GNOME, KDE, OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Thunderbird and that too shouldn't
be too surprising.

There are some trade offs for using cutting edge releases.

I use 'stable' releases for servers and 'cutting edge' for desktops.
This has worked out surprisingly well the last few years.

I recently purchased a new hard drive and did a clean install of Fedora
Core 5 on it and I can relate that I am very impressed and it has worked
exceptionally well. Most impressive is the vast amount of asf/wmv files
that I couldn't see before on Fedora Core 4 but can now with mplayer &
the latest win32 codecs. I used to have to switch over via kvm to my
WinXP system to see them.

It's not surprising that the latest release of Ubuntu should work well.
I would expect that the next releases SuSE, Mandriva, etc. should all
sport quite an improved array of desktop applications and who knows what
will arise from the Google Summer of Code.

I would think it best to celebrate the tremendous improvements in
general for the Linux desktop - regardless of distribution.

Craig