Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.06 Upgrade Experience

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Sun Jun 4 21:06:19 MST 2006

Ubuntu is Debian without the headaches (and working on AMD64, Debian still won't say when they'll officially support AMD64, although they do officially support Itanium, which sells about .01% as many chips).

That said, the primary advantage of Ubuntu is the "it-just-works" issue.  For most people, particularly so-called "typical" users, Ubuntu works without hassles, and doesn't force them to learn a bunch of new stuff.
You can move a user from Windows to Ubuntu almost without them noticing.  I upgraded my older sister's laptop with Ubuntu and it took her 2 days to realize it wasn't Windows.
Now she gets irritated when she has to run Windows (dual-boot) because her employer has custom software that won't run on Linux.

If I had more time, or a spare machine or two, I might run a couple other Distro's (like Suse 10.1, gotta love Compiz/XGL), but for now I need a system that just doesn't require much attention.

==Joseph++