OT: High speed without ISP?

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Fri Jun 2 18:58:47 MST 2006

Just to let everyone know what happened:

I found out that I have vDSL from Qwest. Normal DSL is not available,
and neither is a static IP address. I can't use another ISP either. I'm
locked in to Qwest for my ISP, with no static IP. My only option would
be Cox, and I'm not going there.

I decided to use DynDNS's Mailhop Outbound service. There's a limit of
150 relays/day, but it only costs $15/yr, and $10/yr for additional
increments of 150. The only destinations I've had a problem with are
cox.net and my brother's work. I seemed to remember getting a bounce
from AOL too, but I can't confirm.

I found out how to tell qmail to route outgoing email through DynDNS's
service only for domains that I specify (control/smtproutes file), and
it's working nicely. Everything else (the majority by far) goes straight
out from my server to its destination.

BL, I don't need a static IP address after all. I'm really liking
DynDNS.org. qmailtoaster.com is pretty nice too, but the documentation
is sketchy (welcome to Linux ;) ).

Thanks for all the input.

Mike Garfias wrote:
> I've done what you want in the past (actually still do with cox - i just
> ignore the crap they try to give me).
>
> I've had the best luck with megapath - they're not cheap though.
>
> Alan Dayley spoke forth with the blessed manuscript:
>> Dan Lund said:
>>> Not to sound a little jaded, but honestly... would you really want to
>>> sign up with an ISP that acted like this before you ever made a
>>> purchase?
>> You are absolutly correct.  However, I know of no other options for
>> getting a high speed internet connection without ISP services.  Cable
>> won't do it.  Covad is currently providing my DSL connection bundled with
>> Earthlink ISP but Covad will not talk directly to residential customers,
>> only businesses.
>>
>> My goal is to pay for a hosting account that provides email, DNS, etc.
>> Then, if I can eliminate ISP service charges on my home connection, I can
>> have a hosting and a fast home connection for what I am currently paying
>> for just a home connection.
>>
>> One solution is to get a home account that allows self hosting.  However,
>> that appears to be even more expensive than a hosting provider in addition
>> to my current home service.  And then I'd lose the added reliability and
>> good connection a hosting service provides.
>>
>> I'm just exploring all available options as I referee the fight between my
>> desires for high quality and low wallet impact.
>>
>> Alan

-Eric 'shubes'