ext2/3 on USB?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Jun 2 14:03:37 MST 2006

Am 02. Jun, 2006 schwätzte Mark Jarvis so:

> Thanks! What tool did you use to diddle the existing partition setup? I have
> a 512MB drive that I'd like to create a small 64MB ext3 partition on.

I just use fdisk or something similar and mkfs.

See Alan's post a few weeks ago about lifetime on consumer solid state
devices.

I've been running ext2 and ext3 on external devices for years. I even
setup RAID on my most recenth USB thumb drive :).

m$ will not be able to read the ext? partition.

The USB drive is effectively just a hard drive, so you can make multiple
partitions, etc.

If you leave some room as fat$whatever, then m$ will be able to read that
partition.

Wonder if it's possible to put samba or something on a fat partition that
can read the ext? partition.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  "I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
#  better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use
#  of one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth