How to install lilo to the MBR?

joe joe at tlnf.com
Mon Jul 31 13:57:04 MST 2006

.

Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> It sounds a  lot like your main system partition is mounted
> incorrectly.  All of these locations should be in /, not /mnt.
> I'm guessing that you're either working with a strange setup
> or you're trying something a little backwards.
>
> If you're trying to run entirely from the rescue CD, these should
> all work correctly to install lilo in the MBR.  If you're using the
> rescue CD to boot your already-installed Linux, it sounds like the
> fstab is perhaps a little bit off.

The contents of my lilo.conf file is below. Also, I'm including
an abbreviated report of the contents of fstab on both my desktop
partition and the Knoppix CD fstab.

I have an almost identical setup on both my desktop computer and
on my laptop, except the desktop was a dual boot with win98 on hda1
and the laptop has winXP on hda1.  Everything was working perfectly
on both before I tried to install Qwest DSL on the desktop system.
Now the desktop is all screwed up, but the laptop still works fine.

I have tried both the original Linux install CD rescue option to do
what has been suggested ... and also a Knoppix 3.3 CD.

Here is the contents of my lilo.conf which did work fine on my
desktop computer before the Qwest DSL mess and which still works
fine on my laptop:

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot
# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

default="linux"
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
keytable=/boot/us.klt
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="linux"
	root=/dev/hda6
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="resume=/dev/hda2"
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="failsafe"
	root=/dev/hda6
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="failsafe resume=/dev/hda2"
other=/dev/hdb1
	label="windows"
	table=/dev/hdb
	map-drive=0x80
	   to=0x81
	map-drive=0x81
	   to=0x80
image=/boot/win4lin
	label="win4lin"
	root=/dev/hda6
	initrd=/boot/initrd-win4lin.img
	append="resume=/dev/hda2"
image=/boot/win4lin-2.6.12-12mdk
	label="win4lin-2612-12"
	root=/dev/hda6
	initrd=/boot/initrd-win4lin-2.6.12-12mdk.img
	append="resume=/dev/hda2"

Since I can't cut and paste from the desktop to the laptop
which I am using to email, I'll have to abbreviate some of
the following:

While booted with Knoppix, 'df' currently shows the following:
/dev/root
/dev/cdrom
/dev/cloop
/ramdisk
/dev/hda6
/dev/hda1     (these two hda# items only show up in the 'df' list
after I first click on the desktop icon for each one. There are
several other partitions, including: hda3, hda5, hda7, hda8,
hdb1, hdb5, and hdb7

fstab in /dev/hda6/etc includes the following
/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdc  /mnt/cdrom etc., etc.
/dev/hdd  /mnt/cdrom2 etc., etc.
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb6 swap swap defaults 0 0

fstab in /etc (Knoppix) shows this:
proc   /proc   proc  defaults 0 0
pts    /dev/pts  devpts mode=0622  0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto  user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto  user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto  user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3  /mnt/hda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda5  /mnt/hda5 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda6  /mnt/hda6 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda7  /mnt/hda7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda8  /mnt/hda8 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda9  /mnt/hda9 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hdb1  /mnt/hdb1 vfat noauto,users,exec, umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
/dev/hdb5  /mnt/hdb5 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hdb6  none swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb7  /mnt/hdb7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0