Change hostname etc.? - Success!

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Fri Jul 21 17:00:13 MST 2006

> I'll report back how things went when I try it.  Probably not today,
> though.

It was bugging me so I snuck the time to do one of the boxes.

Success!

The procedure worked.  I was able to change the "cloned" drive in the next
box to a new hostname.  It now authenticates the user against the Windows
2003 Server Domain with Active Directory.

Some additional details to fill out the steps for posterity:

> - Set the hostname to the original value so everything works right.
> - Change the authentication to local, ie. disable Windows domain
> authentication.

This is literealy accomplished by disabling the Windows authentication, as
noted.  It then defaults do local authentication.  Get there via
YaST-->Security and Users-->User Management-->Expert
Options-->Authentication and User Sources-->Samba-->Uncheck "Also Use SMB
Information for Linux Authentication"

> - Reboot.  (Or maybe just logout and back in.)

I rebooted.

> - Change the hostname via YaST.

This is at YaST-->Network Services-->DNS and Hostname

> - Delete the Samba secrets file.

The file is /etc/samba/secrets.tdb

> - Delete the ssh keys.

These files are /etc/ssh/*key*

> - Reboot.  (Or maybe just logout and back in.)  That should trigger new
> host key generation when sshd restarts.

I rebooted.  This did trigger the key creation.

> - Change the authentication back to Windows domain.  Hopefully that should
> trigger the creation of a new Samba secrets file and any other hostname
> dependent stuff.

Do this by rechecking "Also Use SMB Information for Linux Authentication"
in the location described above.  It did indeed trigger the creation of a
new secrets file that incorporates the new hostname, as confirmed by a
grep of the secrets file.

Thanks for the hints!  I'll do this differently next time it's needed.

Alan