Change hostname etc.?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Jul 20 12:15:59 MST 2006

Am 20. Jul, 2006 schwätzte Alan Dayley so:

> Got through all steps to 6 just fine.  At step 7 I used YaST to change the
> hostname on the second computer.  Changed from 'testa' to 'testb'.
> Rebooted.  Login for normal user will not work.  So, logging into the
> console as root, I take a look around.

It seems the hostname tool for YaST needs to have some expanded
functionality.

> The command 'grep -ir testa /etc/*' gives back several files that still
> use the testa hostname: hosts.YaST2save, samba/secrets.tdb,
> ssh/ssh_host_key, ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key.pub, ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub.

That's how I normally do it.

One learns to use hostnames that don't otherwise appear in /etc/.

Some of the files don't need to be changed. You have to look at the files
and figure it out for yourself.

Packages need a way to register that changing the hostname should adjust
their files. Even then some things such as smtp daemons and web daemons
shouldn't necessarily change...

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  Practice socially conscious hedonism. Do whatever you want,
#  as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. - der.hans