dumb bash_profile question

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Jul 18 15:06:21 MST 2006

Am 18. Jul, 2006 schwätzte Craig White so:

> there you go - I thought /bin/sh and /bin/bash were the same. It's clear

They are likely the same binary on a GNU/Linux system, but when bash is
called as sh it executes in a bourne shell compliance mode. Some would
contend this mode actually being compliant, but it definitely changes
behavior.

> that they are not because copying .bash_profile to .profile was just the
> ticket.
>
> I'm not sure if that is better than changing ingres user's shell
> to /bin/bash but at least I know why it wasn't working.

ingres is probably expecting a bourne environment, so you're better off
not changing the shell. Configuring the shell properly as you have is
probably the best thing to do.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  Practice socially conscious hedonism. Do whatever you want,
#  as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. - der.hans