dumb bash_profile question

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jul 18 11:50:58 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 11:40 -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 11:36:05AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > there you go - I thought /bin/sh and /bin/bash were the same. It's clear
> > that they are not because copying .bash_profile to .profile was just the
> > ticket.
> >
> > I'm not sure if that is better than changing ingres user's shell
> > to /bin/bash but at least I know why it wasn't working.
>
> If what you really want is bash, then you should change the shell to
> bash. bash pretending to be sh will act differently sometimes to
> maintain compatibility with sh, whereas bash being bash will always act
> like bash.
----
well, I left it as /bin/sh and left the .profile as is and life is
beautiful and I managed to solve an old problem that I had temp fixed -
which was mostly apache related since the software has a java-based
apache driven user interface and every time I tried to launch the apache
daemon, it wouldn't have the user's environment variables which was
worse when trying to shut it down.

Thanks for the fish

Craig