Asterisk (complete n00b)

KE7FEG eculbert at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 14 11:15:59 MST 2006

Kevin, you might possibly be interested in these
products. The one I have is the basic guardian, but
the second one and up have something similiar to what
you describe and can be placed on any phone line.

No one without the 'extension' number has gotten thru
on my basic guardian. The next level will allow direct
calling into your phones w/o the extension. The only
'downside' is all phones must go thru this or have
their ringers turned off if on a wall plug and not
plugged into this unit. We only have two phones and
one has the ringer off, but will work with the box as
I don't know it is ringing till the primary rings
after the extension is entered by the dialing party.

Sure stops the non wanted parties dead in their
tracks.

http://www.digitone.com/

PS. Not associated with digitone except as a customer
only...fwiw.

--- Kevin <plug-discuss at firstpacket.com> wrote:

> I know we have some Asterisk gurus on the list.  I'm
> wondering if it might
> fill a simple need (or maybe it's overkill).  I want
> to create a simple
> greeting on my home phone number during overnight
> hours that says "we're not
> taking calls right now, call back during the
> daytime" or something similar.
> I also need to have a whitelist of caller ID numbers
> that can always get
> through for emergencies (family, neighbors, etc.)
> From what I have read, it
> seems like the dialplan features can do this.
>
> I do something similar today with my Cox phone
> service.  I created a
> whitelist of numbers that can always ring-in, then
> at night I dial a *
> command to activate it.  The trouble is that I often
> forget to dial the
> (same) * command in the morning to turn it off.
>
> I thought about using a modem in one of my linux
> boxes (maybe even my Tivo)
> with a bash script that sends AT commands in the
> evening and again in the
> morning.  Trouble is Cox uses the exact same *
> command to toggle on/off.  It
> would easily get messed up if one of the dial
> attempts missed.
>
> Sooo... enter Asterisk.  Maybe.  Since I'm not
> interested in VOIP phones,
> would I need a digium board to connect analog
> phones?  Thoughts?
>
> ...Kevin

Ed Culbertson/ke7feg
Remeber Katrina?
For several days, only hams could get out,
and talk to others dependably.

No Morse Code required for Technician class licensee's. Interested? http://www.arrl.org/

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.