apache directory (not) listing

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Jul 13 14:27:42 MST 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 01:39:10PM -0700, Eric Shubes wrote:

> Several pages deep into google, I found something that said to delete
> the welcome page. I went to /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf and commented
> out the contents. Voila, I get an index list!
>
> Apparently, when there's no index found, the welcome page is displayed
> regardless of the Indexes option. It'd be nice to see the welcome page
> only if Indexes is not specified. Oh well, I'll leave that to learn
> another day.

I can follow their reasoning there. If you haven't learned all about
configuring your httpd and you dump a bunch of content there at least
you won't expose everything by default.

I think they should leave it that way, and add a note under the Indexes
option docs to that effect. And anything else effected by the welcome
page.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |