Advocacy: A discouraging conversation

Technomage technomage-hawke at cox.net
Wed Jul 12 16:08:57 MST 2006

here is a simple way to define your rights:

1. the bill of rights:
> Amendment I
>
> Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
> prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
> or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
> petition the government for a redress of grievances. Amendment II
>
> A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
> the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
> Amendment III
>
> No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the
> consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed
> by law. Amendment IV
>
> The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and
> effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,
> and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or
> affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the
> persons or things to be seized. Amendment V
>
> No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous
> crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in
> cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in
> actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be
> subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb;
> nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against
> himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process
> of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just
> compensation. Amendment VI
>
> In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy
> and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein
> the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been
> previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause
> of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have
> compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the
> assistance of counsel for his defense. Amendment VII
>
> In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty
> dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried
> by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States,
> than according to the rules of the common law. Amendment VIII
>
> Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor
> cruel and unusual punishments inflicted. Amendment IX
>
> The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be
> construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. Amendment X
>
> The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
> prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or
> to the people.

2. other related amendments to the constitution:
> Amendment XV: Race and the right to vote.
>
>  Section 1: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be
denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race,
color, or previous condition of servitude"
>  Section 2: "The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by
appropriate legislation"

> Amendment XIX.
>
>  The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or
> abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex. Congress
> shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
>
> Amendment XXIV.
>
>  Section 1.
> The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other
> election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or
> Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be
> denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure
> to pay any poll tax or other tax.
>
> Amendment XXVI.
>
>  Section 1.
> The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age
> or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or
> by any State on account of age.
>

> The 1776 United States Declaration of Independence, written by Thomas
> Jefferson, famously asserts: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that
> all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with
> certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the
> pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are
> instituted among Men."

this link says we do have the right to drive in the US (however, I am loathe
to take it at face value considering that no where in the CFR or various
state laws is this upheld):
http://www.realtruth.biz/right_to_drive.htm (take this infor for whatever its
worth.

in all cases that I am aware of, one must have a certificate (or license) to
operate a motor vehicle. you have the right to use the roadways in the US
unrestricted otherwise, except for the above provision. Basically, you can
walk on these roads, you can ride a bicycle upon these roads, you can even
use a horse and buggy on these roads. all of these you can do without need of
a license. Operation of a motor vehicle is considered a hazard and one MUST
be tested and licensed for operation of such (same goes for just about any
powered machine used in the workplace that requires a "driver" such as a
forklift, crane or tracked or wheeled/tracked vehicle).

in any case, this discussion now falls into the politics realm and out of the
purposes of this list. so I end it here.

TMH