VPS - SendMail Config

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Tue Jul 11 19:38:05 MST 2006

Craig White wrote:
> My opinion is that installing Qmail on a Red Hat based system is plain
> stupid since you lose all of the benefits of reasoned and maintained
> package management. Once you stray from the standard packages, you
> assume all responsibility for updating it whereas if it were a Red Hat
> system, you would merely do 'yum update' or 'up2date -u' and get all the
> updates installed.
>
> That is the practical side of maintaining a system.

Which is why I have written a script that installs and upgrades all of
the toaster packages as simply as yum.

> The packaging restrictions on Qmail are anti-GPL.

Of course they're non-GPL, but anti-GPL? What the heck is anti-GPL? How
can a license be anti-GPL?

They are what they are. That's DJB's call. I don't necessarily agree
with his philosophies, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the
software.

> The mechanics of Qmail
> don't allow easy integration of really nice mail server add-ons such as
> greylisting and content scanning (MailScanner comes to mind here).

I wouldn't try to tackle qmail in and of (by) itself, but the qmail
toaster is pre-integrated with many desirable add-ons, and it's also
preconfigured and tested. No need to assemble the pieces. That feature
alone was a significant factor to me.

> A good Postfix, SQLGrey, MailScanner, ClamAV, with cyrus-imapd is a high
> performance, spam/virus/phish stopping monster and all easily obtainable
> from a Red Hat based system.

Not as easy as the qmail toaster (imho), which runs on all Red Hat
variants in addition to Mandriva and SuSE.

 From what I've read, qmail outperforms Postfix and Sendmail. My qmail
server runs on a P-II/266 quite nicely. I also like the modular
architecture.

To each his own. Having choices is a good thing.
--
-Eric 'shubes'