VPS - SendMail Config

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jul 11 18:55:32 MST 2006

My opinion is that installing Qmail on a Red Hat based system is plain
stupid since you lose all of the benefits of reasoned and maintained
package management. Once you stray from the standard packages, you
assume all responsibility for updating it whereas if it were a Red Hat
system, you would merely do 'yum update' or 'up2date -u' and get all the
updates installed.

That is the practical side of maintaining a system.

The packaging restrictions on Qmail are anti-GPL. The mechanics of Qmail
don't allow easy integration of really nice mail server add-ons such as
greylisting and content scanning (MailScanner comes to mind here).

A good Postfix, SQLGrey, MailScanner, ClamAV, with cyrus-imapd is a high
performance, spam/virus/phish stopping monster and all easily obtainable
from a Red Hat based system.

Craig